Darien Community Scholarship Information
for the Class of 2012
Please Read This Entire Page BEFORE you start your application.
or download a pdf copy of this page Application For Community Scholarships
A number of scholarships are awarded each year by participating Darien community organizations, based primarily on need, although factors such as grades, character, service and other considerations do have weight. Some of the community scholarships have additional criteria, applications or essays; these are described on page 2 of the Application For Community Scholarships.
The awards are for one year, and all high school seniors are eligible.
(NOTE: Two organizations, the Darien Community Association and the Kiwanis Club, also
award continuing financial aid to college undergraduates.)
If you need financial assistance, your chances of getting local aid are best if you follow the instructions
and fill out the application completely, answering all the questions:
- Read the descriptions of local scholarships that are available. You may wish to discuss your
application with your guidance counselor.
- The appropriate scholarship application forms can be found in the Guidance Office or they can be
downloaded from the DHS website
There is one common application form for most of the scholarships.
- Darien High School will send a copy of this completed application to all of the
community organizations listed, unless you specify other instructions.
- The DCA and Kiwanis Club require that you submit the first page of your parent's
tax return(s) with the application. (The tax return will not be sent to an
organization unless it is required.)
- You may be asked for an interview or for additional information from some of the
- Complete the scholarship application forms honestly and completely.
- Be sure a parent or guardian has read and signed the application as well as your
- Legibility is important!! We suggest that you type.
- Submit the completed scholarship application form(s) to Ms. Schoknecht in the main
office no later than March 29, 2012. Applications submitted after this date may not be
- Keep a copy for your records.
In most cases, you will be notified by graduation if you are a scholarship winner.
The College & Career Center maintains a file of numerous other scholarships.
Your counselor may be able to help you identify those for
which you might qualify. Deadlines tend to be early in the year, so don't delay.
The following organizations have indicated their intention to award financial aid this year.
application for all.
Selections are made by each individual organization.
- CHAMBER OF COMMERCE awards one or two scholarships.
- THE DARIEN COMMUNITY ASSOCIATION (DCA) has a long history of generous scholarship assistance to DHS
students. DCA scholarships are RENEWABLE for four years. An interview is required.
- DARIEN EDUCATION ASSOCIATION provides money for a scholarship to a student who has demonstrated
financial need, academic success, and interest in pursuing studies in the field of education or a related field.
- DARIEN JUNIOR FOOTBALL LEAGUE (Coleman Mix Scholarship) awards scholarships to former participants in
the DJFL who have participated in DHS athletics.
- DARIEN LIONS CLUB grants scholarships to one or more candidates with demonstrated need who have
participated in community service, with particular emphasis placed on working with people with special needs.
- DARIEN LITTLE LEAGUE awards scholarships to seniors who have given continuing support to the program.
- DARIEN OLD TIMERS ASSOCIATION grants aid to two or more seniors who have financial need.
- THE DARIEN POLICE ASSOCIATION scholarship is given to two or more seniors and is based on financial
need and academic standing.
- DARIEN ROTARY CLUB awards financial scholarships to graduating seniors of Darien High School through the
Darien Rotary Foundation. The awards are based upon financial need, academic achievement and community
- DARIEN YOUTH HOCKEY ASSOCIATION (Biggs Scholarship) awards a scholarship to a senior who has
participated in the DYHA.
- KIWANIS CLUB OF DARIEN has awarded financial scholarships since 1957 to members of the senior class of
Darien High School to assist in continuing some kind of higher education. The recipients are chosen by a
committee of Kiwanis members, on the basis of 1) financial need 2) academic standing and 3) quality of
citizenship. These scholarships are renewable for one year.
- MASONIC CLUB OF DARIEN awards scholarships to members of the Darien High School graduating class.
Selection criteria include character, good citizenship and school spirit.
- PIEDMONT CLUB awards a scholarship to one or more graduating seniors, who have a financial need, are
motivated to earn money while in school, and who have been of service to the school or community.
- THE NOROTON FIRE DEPARTMENT awards the Henry Bennett Scholarship to one senior each year.
- IN ADDITION to the above scholarships there are a few local individual foundation scholarships related to
athletics, music, the arts, two year or specialized career studies, and allied health.
Also consider the following specialized awards. Each award requires a separate form that is available online or in the guidance office.
THE KIWANIS HENRY KEIL GRANT: For a senior planning a career in nursing or allied health fields.
Return to the Darien High School Main Page